Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Ley ho from Hong Kong

Hello everyone,

I'm safely in Hong Kong and finally settled. I arrived on Sunday to find out that the place that I'm staying at messed up my reservations and didn't leave a set of keys for me with the security guard. Luckily I printed out a copy of my communications with the office and the guard let me put my stuff in the room. I ended up staying at my grandmother's that night because the next morning I had to go get my Chinese visa at the office closer to her house. Even though Hong Kong is a relatively small island area, it still takes a while to get anywhere. It took me a little over an hour to get from HKU to my grandmother's house. I got to have dinner with my maternal family still in Hong Kong so that was really nice.

Today I went to the Department of Anatomy to start my work. My hosts spent the whole day showing me around and going over the procedures and protocols so I get to start work tomorrow. The department is really nice and I'll be working in the gross anatomy lab which doesn't smell at all!

I haven't taken any pictures of Hong Kong yet, but I will soon. I'll include some of my remaining Taiwan pictures with this post and I'll talk to you soon!

So here we begin with the Asian obsession with Hello Kitty. This is an actual Hello Kitty gate at Taoyuan International Airport in Taipei.
This is a Hello Kitty Sweets store in Taipei where they have Hello Kitty shaped hamburgers.
This is the stained glass ceiling at the Taiwan National Museum. It was a pretty small but fascinating museum.
This is outside the National History Museum and the site of those nasty midges that bit me.
Here's a picture of the food at a good tonkatsu (Japanese fried pork cutlet) place in Taipei. There was weirdly a pig outside the restaurant which I felt a little guilty about eating pork inside the restaurant.
Here's a picture of a famous 100+ year noodle restaurant.
Here's a picture of people making Din Ta Feng's famous xiao long bao (dumplings with soup).
Here's a picture of one of the famous Maokong Tea plantations where they grow Taiwan tea.
So that's it for now. I'll write more soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment