Thursday, July 8, 2010

Farewell to Thailand

It's hard to believe that I'm leaving Thailand tomorrow morning and it's already been four weeks. I've made some good friends here and I've collected lots and lots of data. I measured 435 skulls and nearly finished measuring the entire collection. Data collection was finished on Tuesday and I spent Wednesday and Thursday working on my presentation that I gave. It turned out okay, the staff appeared to be really interested in my work. Today I'm taking it slow and not doing much except packing.

Last Sunday I managed to go do a little sightseeing so that was a lot of fun. I took lots of pictures during that day. There isn't many sights to be seen in Khon Kaen, but there's a large Buddhist temple (Phra Mahathat Kaen Nakhon) that overlooks the lake (Bueng Kaen Nakhon) in the city. It's all very pretty. A large rainstorm was threatening in the distance and it was quite ominous.
This is a view of the lake from the top of the temple.
This is a statue on the second floor of the temple. There are a total of nine floors. Nongnuch's daughter Plankton was with us that day and she and I have become quite friendly even though she doesn't speak English. I thought her how to play thumb wars and she's getting quite good. Can you believe that she's only eight years old??!! She's nearly my height.
I took a picture of the flooded streets when we were coming back from the temple, and some of the smaller cars were getting stuck. I couldn't believe that people on motorcycles would try to get across in the flooded streets since it was at least knee high.
I really enjoyed my time in Thailand, despite all the mosquito bites and the doxycyline doing quite a number on my stomach and the constant heartburn. I hope to return someday and see Dr. Panya, Nongnuch, Ann, Dewkey, and Plankton again. So tomorrow morning I fly off to Taiwan. Talk to you all there!

No comments:

Post a Comment