Saturday, June 26, 2010

Propositioned?

Hi all,
Sorry I haven't updated in awhile but I haven't had anything to write. But today something very strange happened to me. I got up a little later than normal since I was woken up by mosquitoes biting me in my room in the middle of the night and I had a hard time going back to sleep.

After breakfast I decided to go to the KKU Complex to get some souvenirs and conditioner. I was dressed in a tank top and a pair of bermuda shorts. When I was done, I waited for the shuttle bus back to the hotel. A guy also got on and stared at me, then proceeded to make small talk with me in English. He asked me my name, where I was from, etc. Then he sat down next to me and said 'I like you' and kissed my shoulder! Needless to say, I rushed off the bus and was a little freaked out. I wasn't sure if I was just propositioned or he was just a strange guy. I've seen plenty of women wear shorts, so I know that is culturally appropriate. My friend also wore a tank top the other day, so I thought that was culturally appropriate too. But apparently maybe not, so I will not be wearing tank tops here anymore. It's crazy what passes for appropriate dress here because I've seen some women dress in skirts that have thigh high slits nearly to their crotch! So after that experience, I'm keeping everything wrapped up.

Besides that experience, it has been a decent week. I've got lots of data and I'm chugging along. Although the doxycycline is still making me a little queasy. My interview with the nursing students took way longer than it should, but it was just part of their school project.

Dr. Panya told me that I would have to give an hour long presentation on my work during the last Thursday that I'm here, so I have to figure out what I'm going to say. I'm working on that today, my only day off of the week. I guess I have to come up with something to say.

I went out to dinner with Dr. Panya and his students on Friday night and it was really fun. I had so much to eat and it was all delicious (ah-loy). The waiter took a picture of all of us, Nongnuch and Dr. Panya is sitting next to me. Ann is sitting across from me and Ghee is sitting next to her.
I also took some pictures of the shuttle, the new taxi service here in Khon Kaen, and inside of the complex.
Look at all the motorbikes!I think that's all for now. I will try to take some more pictures and post when something strange happens to me. Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. was the guy at least somewhat cute? be safe Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, not in the least. Thanks for the concern Gabby. Hope you're having a good summer!

    ReplyDelete