Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Internet access again!

Hi all,

My hotel lost power two nights ago and I haven't been able to access the internet since then. It was weird waking up to find my room pitch black and the air not working. Thankfully, the power was out during the night and by the time I was getting ready, power was restored.

It's official, I'm Thai. Yesterday, a woman pulled up besides me in her car and asked me for directions. I gave her a blank look and looked at the guy standing next to me also waiting for the bus to tackle that question. I'm not sure if she thought I was an idiot or rude. I really have to perfect my Thai so that I can say I don't speak Thai in Thai. Currently I can say four things: I'm full, I'm hungry, hello, and thank you. It's not the most useful vocabulary but it'll work for me. By the end of the month, I think I should be able to say a sentence or two.

I've managed to collect data from over 50 skulls, so I'm making decent progress, but not quick enough to go through the entire collection by the end of the month. The collection is pretty extensive, albeit a little gross since some of the beetle remains are still inside the skulls. It's weird to think that some of these people have been dead for less than a year. The collection consists of people donating their body to the school and they have died from various causes. There are also a lot of monks in the collection, which I find strange because I thought they would have buried them by the monastery.

Yesterday was my most productive day and I got 28 skulls measured. Whereas today, I only got 17 skulls measured. Dr. Panya requested that I go to the Graduate Student seminar today for the Department of Anatomy at noon. It's a weekly seminar where someone, either staff or student presents a paper entirely in English about their research. Today the topic was about Alzheimer's, which was interesting. After the speaker gave her talk in English, the floor was open to questions, which were mostly in Thai. I didn't quite understand what was going on, but I noticed lots of laughing. I even got to ask a question in English of course, which kind of stumped the speaker and I felt bad. Then Dr. Panya introduced me to the department and I had to say a few words. I asked Nongnuch why they have the seminars in English and she told me it was to strengthen their English skills for when they give professional presentations.Dr. Panya wants me to give a 40 minute presentation my last week here about both my Master's thesis and my work here at KKU. I guess I have to get to work on that since I have no clue what to say.

It stormed for the first time here tonight, so that was nice since it might cool things down here. It's been over 100 degrees everyday since I've been here. It's been unbearably hot and humid.

I thought I would take some pictures of the different types of snacks available here in Thailand since it is highly amusing to me. When I arrived at the Bangkok airport, I bought a bag of chips to eat. It was a bag of Lay's chips, but it was Nori Seaweed flavor and according to the bag, is the number one best seller. It's actually quite tasty and does taste a little like seaweed. Here's a picture of one that I bought here in Khon Kaen.
I also included a picture of the bags of chips that housekeeping leaves for me in my fridge in my room. From the picture, I can only deduce that it's crab or seafood flavored or it's made of crab roe?
I couldn't get a picture of the weird toiletries for sale at the Mini-mart next to my hotel. I had wanted to get some facial cleanser since I apparently didn't remember to bring any. However, the only cleanser the store sells are whitening products. I'm not kidding you, all the facial cleanser and shower creams had whitening or lightening products in it. At least, that's what the English name said. Now I'm not sure if this was translated wrong, or if they actually mean to lighten the skin. I'm very tempted to buy a bottle and use it myself, but I'm a little scared of what it will do to my skin.

I think that's all for now, in the coming days I hope to be able to take a picture of the college uniforms and the cheers they do, along with all the motorbikes in the campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment